Thank you for registering for the 2017 Departmental Retreat, which will take place Thursday, September 7 and Friday, September 8 at the Minerals Hotel at Crystal Springs Resort (2 Chamonix Dr., Vernon Township, NJ 07462). We are looking forward to two days of great science and community building within our department. We hope that you will take this opportunity to meet and engage one another in scientific discussion in a convivial setting, and we expect that all attendees will be respectful and conduct themselves professionally throughout the Retreat.
Here are the essential details regarding the Retreat:
- Suburban Transit Chartered buses will depart Lot 21, by Denunzio Pool, at 8:00 am sharp, Thursday, Sept. 7
- Overnight parking is available in Lot 21
- Complimentary self-parking is available at the Minerals Hotel at Crystal Springs Resort
- Buses will depart from the entrance of Minerals Hotel at 5 pm on Friday, Sept 8. Buses will be parked in the main parking lot across the street from the main entrance.
- Check-in at table with Department Administrators. Rooms will be ready at 3:00pm and keys must be picked up by that time. Luggage storage will be provided. Visit the check-in table either upon arrival, the beginning or end of lunch, or during the first afternoon break.
- Please be advised that the rooming assignment sign-up list will be available once registration opens on July 1, 2017. Faculty will be provided single rooms. Students and researchers, make sure to check the list beforehand. If you can come to check-in with your roommate that would greatly expedite the check-in process.
- Hotel Check-out is 12 pm on Friday, Sept. 8. You will not be able to return to your room after this time, but showers and lockers are available to use in the Fitness Center on the pool level on Friday afternoon. Luggage storage will be provided.
- Complimentary wireless internet is available at the Minerals Hotel.
Please refer to the schedule page for a sample schedule of last year’s events.
Talk and Poster Presenters:
The chair asks that each group provide one speaker and at least one poster presenter to represent their lab. There will be prizes for the top three talks as well as the top three posters judged by the committee.
Technical assistance will be provided during the research presentations. Posters will be collected upon arrival to put on display for the poster session.
All meals will be served buffet-style and there will be options to accommodate dietary restrictions available for every meal. There will be a BBQ on Thursday evening. Complimentary beverages will be provided at dinner and at the poster session on Thursday evening. Additional beverages can be purchased by attendees at the Kite Restaurant or the Tiki Bar located on the resort grounds. Note, attendees cannot charge any items to their hotel room or to their Chemistry Department credit card.
- Indoor & Outdoor Heated Tropical Pools, hot tubs, and Steam Room & Sauna opens 7am
- Fitness Center opens at 5am
- Exterior Volleyball courts – sand volleyball court adjacent to the pavilion. Volleyball available at member service desk if required (other than Thursday night)
- Game Room – coin operated games – quarters, change machine in game room
- Soccer tournament – The Third Annual Chemistry Soccer Tournament will take place at 1:30 pm, Friday, on the field next to the Pavilion. A sign-up list will be available once registration opens on July 1, 2017. Games will be 5 v. 5 and 20 minutes long. Winners will take home the 2017 Departmental Soccer Tournament Cup.
Activities NOT covered as part of the Retreat and to be paid for by the individual. These activities should be reserved in advance by using this site, http://www.crystalgolfresort.com
- Mountaintop Adventure Center, $39.00 per person, Hiking, Fishing, Archery, Canoeing, Kayaking, Paddle Boating, Stand up Paddle Boarding and more
- 9 Hole Minerals Golf Course, $35.00 per person, http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/golf/, golf club rental is an additional cost. Golf may require pre-arranged property shuttle, if golfing anywhere besides the Minerals Course
- Foot-Golf on Minerals Course, $35.00 per person
- Zoom Ziplining, $59.95 to 64.95 per person, 4 dual ziplines, 1 suspension bridge, Unimog Ride, 2 hour tour, http://www.mountaincreek.com/events/zip-tours/, Zoom is at Mountain Creek, about 1 mile away – will require pre-arranged property shuttle
- Elements Spa – http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/spa/elements/
- Indoor Tennis Courts – access is available, court time to be reserved at member service desk, $48/hr per court. Rackets $5 plus tax
- Indoor Racquetball Courts access is available, court time to be reserved at member service desk, $10/hr per court. Rackets $5 plus tax
- Indoor Basketball Courts – shared amenity with all hotel guests
**Please be advised that no charges are to be made to your room number. The Department is providing your room and the group meals/libations. Any other food, libations, activities or charges are your responsibility. You are not to use your Department Credit Card for any payment on this outing. Cash or your personal credit card will be accepted by Minerals Hotel and Spa. If in-room movies are ordered, you are responsible for covering the charges at the front desk prior to departure.